Pumpkins aren't just for pies and jack-o-lanterns. This delicious soup is just the thing for cool fall days.
If you're using your own home-canned pumpkin, you can add them cubed or puree them to give this soup a smooth creamy texture.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- ½ c finely chopped onion
- 2 c thinly sliced mushrooms
- 4 c chicken stock
- 2 c canned pumpkin
- ½ T honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ c whole milk
- 1/3 c cold water
- 1/3 c cornstarch
- 2 c shredded smoked cheddar cheese
What To Do:
- Melt butter in a large fry pan. Add the garlic and cook gently until almost tender.
- Cut sausage into small pieces and add to the pan to cook.
- Once sausage is cooked, add the mushrooms and onions. Let cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes longer.
- Drain off liquid.
- Put the pumpkin, chicken stock and seasonings into a large pot.
- Add the sausage mixture and bring it all to boiling. Then reduce the heat.
- Put a cover on the pot and let it simmer for 10 minutes to let flavours meld together.
- Mix together milk, water and cornstarch in a cup. Add this mixture to the pot and stir it in.
- Let it come to a boil and stir a minute or two until it gets thick.
- Stir in the shredded cheese until melted and well-mixed in.
- Let cool a little and pour into bowls.